Dear Coastal Property Owners Association of Santa Cruz County Member,
Please contact your California State Senator and Assembly Member http://findyourrep.legislature.ca.gov/ for help in defeating AB 976.
AB 976 will give the California Coastal Commission (CCC) the “right to be the cop on the beat, prosecutor, judge, jury and executioner” according to John Gamper of the California Farm Bureau.
An article regarding the bill can be seen at:
Those who have dealt with the CCC already know that California’s most powerful government body currently has more power over local agencies and property owners than is warranted as evidenced by:
1) The frustrations of residents on and near West Cliff Drive who fought the CCC to limit overnight parking to reduce crime and violence.
2) The County of Santa Cruz who had to spend hundreds of thousands of our tax dollars to finally get the East Cliff Drive armoring and parkway project approved after the CCC initially denied the project against both the county and the US Army Corps of Engineers.
3) The property owners along East Cliff Drive who are still fighting to restore security and privacy fencing or were forced to grant view easements as part of the East Cliff Drive Parkway project controlled by the CCC.
4) The property owners on Beach Drive in Rio Del Mar who for years have sought to cure erosion threats and permits for existing shoreline protection.
5) The residents of Pajaro Dunes who reportedly spent over $500,000 in lobbying costs to gain approval from the CCC to rebuild the river wall which protects their homes from flooding.
The Santa Cruz Sentinel ran an editorial today http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/opinion/ci_23681846/editorial-add-bite-bark supporting AB 976 under the premise that “In simple terms, a commission with some real legal authority would even the playing field.”
Nothing could be further from reality.
Coastal Property Owners Association of Santa Cruz County
Please visit our website at http://www.coastalpropertyowners.org/ for other news about coastal issues.
You may obtain your password by clicking on the “Login Help” button at the lower left side of our web page.
“WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THEIR GOVERNMENT, THERE IS TYRANNY; WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE THERE IS LIBERTY.” – Thomas Jefferson